- Virgin Atlantic vs Air France: Which is Better? - August 21, 2023
- Virgin Red vs Virgin Atlantic: What’s Changed? - August 20, 2023
- Does Southwest Have First Class? Business Select Explained - August 18, 2023
The BA Platinum credit card not only gives you to earn up to 25.000 Avios points but spend over £10,000 in one year on your card and get a FREE companion flight! Need to be smart with this one, but the rewards are amazing!
Ok, first of all, I am going to state this next sentence very clearly ….. do not take out a credit card on the basis of offers and use it to spend more than you can afford and accumulate interest. The interest can spiral and often there are cheaper alternatives to borrowing.
If you are smart, pay off every balance when due and just substitute your debit card spending with a credit card – and pay off your credit card before the balance is due every month so as not to be charged for any interest- you can earn some substantial rewards.
We are going to look at two current (Sept 2019) British Airways credit cards giving you the greatest Avios earning:
British Airways American Express Card
• 5,000 Welcome Avios Bonus Points (if you spend £1,000 in the first three months);
• No Annual Fee;
• 22.9% APR;
• Collect 1 Avios for every £1 spent;
• A 2 for 1 companion flight if you spend £20,000 on the card in a 12-month period (around £1,667 per month);
British Airways American Express Premium Card:
• 25,000 Welcome Avios Bonus Points (if you spend £3,000 in the first three months);
• £195 Annual Fee;
• Collect 1.5 Avios for every £1 spent;
• A 2 for 1 companion flight if you spend £10,000 on the card in a 12-month period (around £834 per month);
• Collect 3 Avios for every £1 spent on BA fights – This can mean a £1,000 flight can give you an extra 3,000 Avios if you pay on your BA Premium Credit Card and pay the balance off before due. A great and easy way to earn more Avios and not be charged interest;
• 22.9% APR on purchases – The Representative 76% APR shown is simply because of the £195 annual fee on a representative £1,200 credit limit;
It does not mean you will be charged 76% APR on ongoing new purchases;
2 for 1 Companion
You may have noticed in the comparison that both cards give you the possibility of a 2-for-1 companion flight on the same flight in the same class, as long as Avios is used to book the earning flight.
Let’s say you’ve done well and have 275,000 miles earned and saved. Well done you. This is enough Avios for a return flight in Business Class to Sydney for two weeks in May. If you have spent and managed your credit card wisely and managed to earn a companion flight, this means your partner, a friend, or a family member can also fly business class to Sydney for free! (obviously, everything quoted is minus the hateful and ever-increasing taxes mind so take this into account – for this flight, it’s around £700).
If this direct flight is purchased with cash only it amounts to a crazy price of £5,062.62!!. This means with 275,000 Avios points two return flights to Sydney in Business Class would cost £1,400 in taxes, rather than £10,125.24 in cash!
Suggested Reading: Learn how to use Avios Points to really earn up to 25.000 Avios Points or more on a flight and get these same two flights for £6,000 instead of £10,125. Use this as an example to start to understand how the points system works and be on your way to becoming a Points Guru yourself!
You can see through at this price the annual fee of £195 for the Premium card reducing the companion flight minimum to £10,000 per annum (rather than £20,000 for the Standard card) starts paying for itself very quickly.